Our work with environmental sustainability is guided by our vision and environmental policy, local laws and by sustainability frameworks.
Based on our materiality analysis we have identified the following as our most important environmental challenges.
- Water use
- Waste and recycling
- Emissions to air
- Natural resources
We look at environmental sustainability from two aspects
- How we can affect our customer’s environmental sustainability
- The sustainability of our own operations
Within our own operations we have, to date, chosen to focus on the work at our own factories and distribution centres. In all of our factories we measure waste, water consumption and energy consumption.
We have 14 factories and 8 distribution centres around the world split into:
- Chemical factories. We have eight factories producing chemical products such as udder hygiene teat dips, acid and alkali cleaners as well as sanitisers for milking installations.
- Manufacturing and assembly factories. These eight factories are manufacturing milking and cooling equipment.
- We have eight centres that warehouse our products before delivering to the customer
Our Customers Operations
Our customers are among the five million dairy farmers globally with ten cows or more.
We develop products and solutions that help our customers reduce their environmental footprint, while they improve food production, increase profitability, and enhance the wellbeing of people and animals. It is in the product development phase, that all our main environmental challenges are tackled. That is, we set requirements for water use, waste and recycling, emissions to air and natural resources when developing new products.
Many of our products have shown proven benefits in terms of increased and more efficient milk production, reduced energy consumption and improved animal welfare. When cows are healthy and productive they produce more milk per kg of feed and grass they eat which means the water and land used to produce the feed and to maintain grazing fields are used more efficiently.
It’s on the customer side of our business that we believe we can have the biggest impact in contributing to lowering the environmental impact within dairy farming.